The following contests are currently open for submissions. Due to space limitations on this page, please refer to the APS website (www.austinpoetrysociety.org) for full guidelines and a list of all available contests. Have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
APS Annual Awards Contest Guidelines for 2020
- Entry in an annual contest constitutes submission of the poem for publication in an anthology, Best Austin Poetry 2019-2020, to be published after the May 2020 Austin Poetry Society (APS) Annual Awards Ceremony. Only first place winners will be included in the chapbook. The APS acquires only the right to one-time use of first place poems and for subsequent non-exclusive use in any anthology of poems collected from the Best Austin Poetry series. All other rights return to the author after publication of the anthology. Rights to all other submitted poems revert to the poet after judging. In lieu of any payment for use of the winning poems, we will provide one copy of the anthology to each poet included.
- A copy of all poems which receive any award (first, second or third prize) may be provided as a courtesy to the sponsor of the contest and/or honorees specified by the sponsor.
- Only Honorary, Lifetime or dues‑paid APS members may enter. The entry fee is $10, regardless of the number of contests entered once. In the contest list, see information concerning the fee for entering Contest No. 1 more than once. Checks are to be made payable to APS.
- Each entry must be the original work of the contestant. Contestants may enter as many contests as desired, but only one poem in any one contest except for Contest 1, as specified in the list of contests. A poem entered in one contest may not be entered, in whole or in part, in any other contest.
- All poems that were entered in monthly meeting contests are eligible for the annual contests except for first place poems chosen by the judge.
- A poem which has, in whole or in part, been previously published in any form including electronic venues is not eligible.
- Entries may not be simultaneously submitted for consideration elsewhere.
- Any poem that has won a first prize in any APS annual awards contest will be ineligible for all subsequent APS contests.
- A poet may not enter a contest for which he or she won first prize the preceding year.
- Proofread with care before submitting. After submission, an entry may not be revised, nor may another poem be substituted.
- Poems must be typed or printed on 8.5” x 11” white paper, one side only, and single spaced. To maintain consistent form in the chapbook, typeface must be Times New Roman 12 point. Variant fonts cause scanning problems.
- All submissions must be in English except when specified otherwise in contest descriptions.
- Read each contest description carefully for special instructions (theme, form, length, etc.). Titles of one line will not be counted against the maximum line count specified; however, all extra lines (subtitles, epigrams, stanza break lines, introductory material, or footnotes) will be counted as part of the poem’s line count.
- Submit two sets of all your entries, one with your identification information and one without. Your name should appear only on the upper‑right hand corner of ONE copy of each poem. Any identification of the author on the other copy, to be sent to the judge, will disqualify the entry.
- Type the number and name of the contest in the upper left corner of each poem in both sets of copies.
- Arrange each set of the entry poems in order by the contest numbers, one set with author information and the other without. Each set should be clipped (not stapled) together.
- Staple together single poems exceeding one page to prevent loss or misplacement. In such cases, specify whether or not a blank stanza break line occurs at the bottom of the first page.
- Please do not send your only copy since entries will not be returned.
- Entries which fail to conform to the rules will be disqualified.
- Include a separate identification sheet with the following: “ A., your name, postal address, phone number, and if possible, e-mail address, in the upper left corner; and “B., a list in numerical order of the contests you have entered including the number and name of the contests you have entered and each poem’s title.
- Your submission envelope should include: two sets of poems (one set with author identification, the other without); identification sheet described in Item 20 above; and entry fee payable to Austin Poetry Society.
- A contest which does not attract at least five entries will be cancelled, and the prize money will be returned to the sponsor.
- All entries must be postmarked or received by April 1, 2020, and addressed to:
Austin Poetry Society Annual Awards
P.O. Box 41346
Austin TX 78704
Note: If you mail your entry less than one week before the deadline, please send an email to email@example.com to let us know it’s on it’s way.
To Submit Online:
Entries may also be submitted online via Submittable. If submitting online, entries must be received by April 1, 2020, with a time stamp of no later than 11:59 p.m. CST. To enter through Submittable, go to: https://austinpoetrysociety.submittable.com/submit.
If you are submitting online, you still need to include one blank copy and one identification copy, as well as an identification sheet. You can upload them as separate files in Submittable. Please ensure that you do not include any identifying information in the file name of your documents.
For help with the online submission process, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPiwt43xV5U&feature=youtu.be
Judges will be appointed by the Annual Awards Committee. The committee will give preference to well‑published objective judges with demonstrated competence. Contest sponsors may recommend a judge to be considered for their contest, but the committee makes the choice and keeps confidential until the announcement of winners the identities of judges. Judges’ decisions are final.
All matters concerning the annual awards are handled in the strictest confidence until the winners are announced at the May 2019 program. Award winners’ names and poem titles will be published in APS publications.
If you have questions about the submission process, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Annual Contests” as your subject.